Monday, October 13, 2008

Libraries

Libraries seem like a thing of the past since technology has taken over our societies; however, now more than ever, libraries are more useful. In high school, using the library was not mandatory so I myself was a Googler. I would use all of my resources from that website and they would all be off of the Internet. Arizona State has a total of eight libraries amongst all of the four campuses and they spend a lot of money on providing reliable resources to their students every year.  It is only fair if we take advantage of this perk and use everything the libraries have to offer. 

First of all, professors want their students to write academic papers and using the libraries will provide them with scholarly articles.  According to Marc Mason, "much of the information you'll find on the Internet isn't from what we call an AUTHORITATIVE source," however articles from the library are. The library provides print resources, electronic resources, as well as even media.  

Another advantage that Arizona State provides through their libraries is their online library. Each library is linked online to one another, and you can transfer books, magazines, or articles from one of the Arizona State libraries for free.  On their website students have access to their research databases, which Arizona State subscribes to over four hundred different ones. If we as students had to subscribe to each one of these databases it would be more than thousand dollars. As the technology changes, libraries are keeping right up with it and are changing as well only to benefit its users. 

Using a library can be very beneficial to any person who is looking for information or for someone who is looking just for a good book to read.  All of their resources are reliable and creditable because they written by scholars.  As Germaine Greer stated, "Libraries are reservoirs of strength, grace, and wit, reminders of order, calm and continuity, lakes of mental energy, neither warm nor cold, light nor dark....In any library in the world, I am at home, unselfconscious, still and absorbed." Take advantage of the great resource and let your imagination run wild within the walls of the library. 

References:
ASU 101 Learning Module

Germaine Greer
http://www.quotegarden.com/libraries.html

4 comments:

Rosemary said...

I too used to be a googler but now that I was exposed to different search engines I don't use it as much. The library is super important and I can't go a day without entering it.

Gavin Bennett said...

I am a googler as well. I honestly hate going to the library and only do when I absolutely have to, unless I'm getting Starbucks. There are really good sources of information, however, and if I want to get an assignment done right, I use the library to gather my info.

Anthony Westover said...

During high school I was definitely a huge "Googler" but I think the reason for that is that teachers in high school didn't care about how reliable a source was just as long as we used some sort of information through other sources. Now that I've been exposed to the databases and such I hardly ever use google unless I'm searching for something unscholarly.

Adriana! said...

Have you tried our library website? The EBSCO system is AMAZING!!! I had to type up a report on business and I needed scholarly work. Ebsco saved me from HOURS in the library.